Sunday, October 10, 2010

Lacy the Blood Trail Dog, 2 for 2, 2010

.
Lacy’s 2 nd tracking job for 2010!


Well, I put a shaft thru to boiler room of a nice forked horn buck this morning and it was time to give Lacy a little track job.

As usual, without a word she back tracked me right to the stand and we were off on the deer track. She learned real quick as a pup that daddy’s back track leads to a dead deer. That is something you need to remember if your going to train your own blood trail dog. By the time I got Lacy out there the track was aged a little over 4 hours.

It was a pretty easy track except for the three deer that had crossed the blood trail about 15-20 minutes after the buck had run off. Lacy faded a step or two off on their trail but got back on the right deer without me correcting her. That was pretty awesome. I don’t know for sure if she just got lucky on that or if she really got it right and knew what was going on with the distraction of the other 3 deer. It looked like she knew which track was which.

It was a short 50yd or so track and she went right to him and we made successful, recovery #2 for the 2010 bow season.

I need to go back and see what her record is to date. I can only think of 3 deer and a hog she did not recover and I feel one of the deer was not hit at all. One was apparently shot in the lower foreleg and not recoverable. The third deer is a mystery! There were a pile of other deer and hogs in the area and I think this really confused her on which was the one she was supposed to be following. She was just a year and a half old at that point. The hog was the same situation. There was a half a dozen of them and they had been all over the area like rats. We just never got it straightened out from the other hogs. She has probably found 20-24 deer successfully. I will research that and confirm the exact number. I will try to get those tracks posted as soon as I can.


Larry S.

No comments:

Post a Comment