Thursday, October 7, 2010

Bow Season Report, Florida 2010-8

.
Tues., October 5, 2010

Bow Report 2010: Florida 10-8

Oct. 5, 2010 ( AM & PM hunt)
Wind: N 10- breezy during day gusts to 24mph
temp.: l 62, h.80
moon: 2 days before new moon
major feed: 8:20 am, 8:45 pm
pressure: 30.07- rising
humidity: avg. 71% l.58., h.100%
rain: 0

Tues. morning:
I hunted the pond stand this morning. It was cool with a little breeze. bird activity was pretty good but the deer was slow. The 75 spike showed up again and I shot some video of him while he was getting his picture taken on my new trail camera.

The deer are acting a little spooky of the feed site and are circling down wind before coming in. I have never really seen this behavior here before and have to attribute it to the trail camera. They start eating the corn that is furthest away from the camera and the corn closest to the camera will be the last to be eaten. I had been running the camera on incandescent flash but after see how they are reacting to it i have moved the camera and set the new unit to infra red. It to soon to draw any conclusions but I think it will make a difference.

As soon as i can I will post some video of how these deer have been circling the site to wind check before coming in.....very interesting!

Tues. afternoon:

Pretty slow, only the 75 spike showed this afternoon. it too close to the new moon and the feed times are getting off for seeing deer early and late.
Bucks are still continuing to show up on the camera at night here. Usually at least thee different one each night. here are a few photo's of them. the day shots are of the 75 spike from this morning.












Wednesday AM.: Oct. 6,10

Wind: N 9- breezy during day gusts to 23mph

temp.: l 67, h.77
moon: 1 days before new moon
major feed: 9:05 am, 9:30 pm
pressure: 30.07- steady
humidity: avg. 57% l.44., h.88%
rain: 0

Zero deer showed up this morning!

PM.:
I decided to hunt the Cabbage Creek club this afternoon. I wanted to pull what cards I could and see what the activity at the stands looks like and put out some more corn.

I only had time to get to the Kill Zone stand. Unbelievably, the corn was all still there from Sunday! The deer have stopped eating corn here. This happens every year for a short time when the acorns start to fall and the natural feed shifts. There were about 57 triggers of the camera there but it looks like only four different deer had used there. One was a nice 7 or 8 point but again, I have never seen him before and I believe he roamed in from somewhere else and it was about 4:30 am. Only one deer visited in the daylight, a pencil horn spike.

I set a new cam at the "buck block stand". The corn has pretty much gone there. I will be interested to see what is showing up there. I believe I'm going to see a bear on the camera there. I had to set this cam and corn in the dark. There was just not enough time before the hunt. I hated to go in there at that time but I needed that camera there to see if it's worth investing any time there and where all the corn is going.

Of course I had Lacy the tracking machine with me. I put in an extra effort to be sure I have her there for every tracking opportunity. We were driving down the creek road which is a long sugar sand road that winds along an edge created where a high sand hill meets a creek drainage. I had the window down for Lacy. She loves the wind check as we're driving thru the woods. Apparently, we cut a hot deer track as all of the sudden she sounded off.... balling out the window...I grabber he by the tail right quick to be sure she did not bail out! She will do that!

Since its a new moon today I may not hunt much in the PM for a while. I just don't see activity to support investing the time during this moon phase. I do see a few deer in the morning if I hunt a "lay-up" type stand like the "kill zone" stand.

Here's a few pic's from the Kill zone from Sunday thru wed. pm.:   






Good Luck,
Larry S.

No comments:

Post a Comment