Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Bow Season Report, Florida 2010-14

.
Bow Season Report, Florida 2010 -14 (AM & PM Hunt)

Wind: light and variable AM. -
temp.: l 63, h.84
moon: 2 days before quarter moon
major feed: 2:30 am, 3:00 pm
pressure: 30.01 steady
humidity: avg. 86%@8:00AM - 37 min. 100max.
rain: 0

It was back to the pond stand this morning as that is the only stand I can hunt and still get my daughter to school on time. I have put more time in on that stand than I feel comfortable with but the deer are still coming so I guess I have not hurt things to bad. I access the stand from a hay field and deer almost never get behind the stand. True, most of the buck activity at the stand has been at night but such is the case with stands that I am only hunting once a week. The Trail cameras really let you see the hole picture of what is going on when you are not there.

I did not see a deer this morning until 7:45 AM when (2) nubbies came trotting in from the NW. strangely enough, instead of walking another 15 yds to the corn they went down the 5th row cut into the thick gallberries around to the back side for the corn and then approached to start eating. Their 6 month old fawns! I can still make out their spots in the trail cam pictures. unbelievable.

Another interesting note is that these two young bucks were with their mama Friday morning when I shot the 4pt. Apparently she has orphaned them and must be coming into estrous. This also correlates with the big buck that just showed up on the trail came. He's Probably the best buck I have got on camera this year. He has been there two mornings in a row but real early, in the 4-5 am range. Aided with this valuable intel, I plan to hunt him this evening. He will have to be still in that block of woods until tonight when he could slip across the highway. Hopefully, I'll get lucky.

Some more interesting behavior I witnessed this morning came from the nubbies. Keep in mid I kill the 4 pt. here four days ago. When the nubbies left they left out of the NW corner of the pines where the 4 pt. expired. I had stuck a couple of gallberry bushes in the ground beside the buck. I remember Lacy had brushed thru them several times. Well, as they approached this spot one of them got nervous and stopped and started bobbing his head back and fourth, up and down. The other went up to the gallberries and I could just see his head thru the pine saplings, smelling them and the ground around the area! Amazing!

Well, it was about 8:15 when the nubbies got gone and I needed to get myself to I lowered the Switchback to the ground, pulled my face mask down and started disassembling the video cam. I turned and looked up and immediately locked eyes with a spike standing in the corner of the chop watching me! It was the "leaner spike". Depending on my mood, he's on my hit list most days. He ended up flagging off and blew twice to alert all that a booger was about. He won the day but there will be another!

Here's some pictures from the camera at this stand. These were taken with a Bushnell infra red trail camera, model #119325c. It takes a remarkably good color picture in the daylight. These have been reduced to 74kb for posting and do not do the camera justice. It is also real easy on batteries and has a great trigger speed.

The color pictures below are of the nubbin bucks from this morning.





The big 8! note the time 4:05 am




The big 8! he was at the stand for around an hour! Something is going on and I suspect its a receptive doe!

This is another interesting photo. I was not going to post due to the blur, Then I looked at the date and time! I was walking into the stand and spooked these deer off and never knew it but the camera caught them whirling to leave.

The leaning horn spike. It was his lucky day this morning!

                                                                     The 77 spike!


                                          The 75 spike and the leaner spike face off!

                                    The 77 spike!

The big 8 and the leaner spike face off!



                                         The leaner spike

                                                                      The 75 spike!



The wind forecast for this evening is S to SE and that is exactly wrong for the pond stand so I guess I am going to have to co

The wind forecast for this evening is S to SE and that is exactly wrong for the pond stand so I guess I am going to have to co



PM Hunt:
 
Since the wind was wrong at home for the pond stand I drove an hour to get to the cabbage creek club to hunt the kill zone stand. You guessed it.....the wind was wrong! I could have stayed home and hunted the wrong wind. It was south over here and vaied from east, north and west over there. Well, we weren't giving up so we climbed and hunted until the pins went out and it was time to head home.
 
Total # of deer spotted, 0. On a positive note, I did not hear any blowing that might have winded me. 
 
I pulled the cam card and it was not to impressive. The big notched ear doe with her nubbin buck was back at night. Interestingly, the 3"pencil spike and an old looking doe showed up in the middle of the day. No shooters. We did get a neat fox picture. We don't see to many of those guys.
 
That's it!
 
Larry S.

No comments:

Post a Comment