Monday, October 25, 2010

Bow Season Report, Florida 2010-21, Buck #5 Goes Down!

.
Friday, October 22, 2010


Bow Season Report, Florida 2010 -21

Wind: light and variable, (east and west mainly)
temp.: l 51 , h. 84
moon: 1 day before full moon
major feed: 9:45 am, 10:05 pm
pressure: 30.06 steady
humidity: avg. 54% 23 min. 94max.
rain: 0

AM Hunt:

Friday was the last day of crossbow season. I have been hunting thru the week with my Switchback. After seeing a 3pt at the hunting club come by my kill zone stand at the same time 2 days in a row, I could not wait to get in that stand.

My chance came Friday morning. My wife Tammie finally came to her senses and realized my hunting is arguably the most important thing in the world. What a women, she arranged to go in to work a little later so she could cover for me getting Morgan to school. My bride!

This turned out to be an excellent decision on Tammie's part. Based on the latest trail cam intelligence it appeared the deer were showing up just about 9:15 AM. with a near full moon. Specifically, there was a 3 point that had come by two days in a row at the same time and I fully intended to make him my next victum. I got into the stand before shooting light and got the video camera going and I was ready to go to work.

As expected I was no deer until 9:15 when I spotted a deer standing in a fire break about 50yds south of the stand. I the glasses on him and saw it was a buck but not the 3pt I was there for. This deer had more horns and was at least forked on both sides. After a tense moment he turned into the high gallberries on my side of the line and I knew I was about to get a shot.

I got the camera rolling just as he stepped into the cut line that comes to my stand. He eased along until he was right in the wheel house at 17 yds and started feeding. He fed behind a small bay tree for a long time but finally came sliding out and got broadside enough for a shot.

I zoomed in just a little and when he got is head in the brooms hedge I pulled the bow to full draw. When the pin settled behind his shoulder I touched her off. My Muzzy tipped Camo Hunter shaft entered just behind the shoulder and the buck’s fate was sealed!

The buck wheeled and bolted back down the cut line and stopped at about 40yds, head down and weak at the knees. He staggered off into the gallberries and collapsed on the other side.

He turned out to be a nice little 6pt and the 5th buck I have shot with a bow this year. It was an awesome hunt and I caught the whole thing on video. That’s a difficult thing to do when your camera man and hunter.

I did not have Lacy with me so she was not able to get in on the excitement.

Here’s some pictures of my prize.




The above picture is a little unusual.... this bucks appeared to be loosing his nails like a horse that has foundered. His back feet were not effected. I have only seen this a couple of times myself.






Best of Hunts,
Larry S.



PM. Hunt: (no hunt)


Saturday, Oct. 23,2010

AM. Hunt:

Knowing I was probably making a mistake I decided to hunt the buck block stand behind the sink hole. This was really a poor choice on a full moon morning and so far from lay up but there is always a chance and at least there have been bucks showing up on camera there albeit primarily at night. My other stand has had little activity.

As I expected the hunt was a bust but when you are just coming off a kill you can afford to take a chance on a long shot stand.

When I reviewed the trail camera cards for the two cameras here the deer activity was disappointing. I did have some neat bear pictures. In fact not one but two bears were there at the same time. There were a lot of pictures and I think I’ll post them separately in sequence. Here is the link: http://trophy-hunting.blogspot.com/2010/10/pair-of-florida-black-bears-on-trail.html

I don’t think Steve saw any deer this morning either.



PM. Hunt:

I decided to pull the trail cam off Rick’s stand at the buck block and move it back to the moccasin drain stand and hunt there that afternoon. I walked in on a deer at the stand that I think was a buck but it skipped off tail waving before I could ID it. At dark I had a doe come in and skirt the trail camera. It was really an eye opener. You can read a more in depth account of just what went down as well as some other interesting deer/trail camera activity in a separate posting. Here is the link to that: http://trophy-hunting.blogspot.com/search/label/Writings%20from%20Huntin%20Camp



Sunday, Oct. 24, 2010

AM Hunt:

I hunted the kill zone stand as this is one of the best stands I know of for seeing a deer on a full moon morning. At 9:15 AM. A buck stepped into the fire break to the south and paused long enough for me to id him as the 3” pencil horn I have been getting on camera here. He crossed the line on to the neighboring property and disappeared.

That was pretty much the extent or the hunt. Again, we were plagued with a light and variable wind.

Steve did not see a deer this morning.

When I pulled the trail camera card at the m.d. stand it had a small doe with a wound to the neck with a large hematoma the size of a grape fruit. Don't know what happened to her but I hope she get over it.
Kind of looks like an exit hole from a three blade broadhead actually.




PM Hunt: (no hunt)

The afternoon hunt was called on account of the water heater going out at the house....The girls seems to think bathing is more important than hunting?

Good Luck,
Larry

No comments:

Post a Comment