Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Bow Season Report, Florida 2010-12

. Sunday, October 10, 2010


Bow Season Report, Florida 2010 -11

Wind: W 1+/- (light /variable)
temp.: l 53, h.87
moon: 3 days after new moon
major feed: 12:25 am, 12:55 pm
pressure: 30.01 steady
humidity: avg. 76% 35 min. 94max.
rain: 0

I camped at Cabbage Creek Fri. and Sat night and hunted Fri. pm. Thru Sun. am. There.

Well, what else can I say……I blew it! Saturday afternoon I pulled the Trail camera card at the kill zone stand and a shooter buck had passed right in front of the stand at about 8:15 AM. That morning and there had been several other bucks there during the night. With that information in hand I made a plan to be there well before light Sunday morning.

Everything was set for a good hunt except the wind! It was fanning back and fourth and that usually spells disaster for a deer hunt. I don’t know if it hurt me but I never had anything blow at me. The weather was great and we had some more unseasonable cool weather for bow season.

There was a little bit of a feed going on. The birds we feeding pretty good and I saw a squirrel or two.

About 8:35 am. I heard the unmistakable sound of a deer pushing thru the palmettos and thick coming from the North out of Rattle snake flats. I spun around and got the camera pointed there just as he broke into the edge of the old chop. In my haste to get everything ready I forgot to punch the record button on the camera, not that there ended up being much to film.

As soon as he broke the edge he turned towards the fire trail that leads past the base of my tree. That’s usually a bad thing as I am skylight from that direction and they have to walk literally, right under my tree. That’s not easy to get by with.

Quickly, I decided I would shoot him as soon as he stepped into the fire trail at about 26yds.. I drew and was ready. Just about then I saw the buck wheel and go bounding back into the thick flagging. As best I can tell he must have stopped with his head in a hole in the bushes and he saw me move. The way he was pushing thru the bushes at a steady pace with his head low I thought I was in good shape…..I don’t know. He may have smelled me but he did not blow. He was no monster but he was a marked deer and I fully intended to put a shaft in him. He is the buck that was there the morning before on the trail cam. I hate it when a plan comes so close only to slip away at the last moment.

Worse yet, when I pulled the camera card and got it back to camp it revealed two new 4pt bucks , the 7pt and the pencil spike had all been there that night. The 7pt has been there on the 5th, 7th & 10th. If he keeps this up he might not be long for this world. I’m going to put all the time I can in this week on him.






PM Hunt:

I hunted the pond stand this afternoon but it was uneventful. I did not see and deer. When I got the camera card home it was not to exciting either. The big cow horn 77 spike , 75 spike and the 13 spike had been there with a few does and yearlings but all at night except one tiny yearling that was not even big enough to make a sandwich.

I hope this is not due to the killing of the 4pt. I don’t think I made much of a disturbance with all that. We’ll see if things pick up with the quarter moon coming up.

Here’s some pictures from the camera traps.

Good luck,

Larry















.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment