Friday, October 8, 2010

Bow Season Report, Florida 2010-9

.
Bow Season Report, Florida 2010 -9

Wind: NNE 4+/- (light early)
temp.: l 55, h.84
moon: 1 day after new moon
major feed: 10:50 am, 11:20 pm
pressure: 30.04 steady
humidity: avg. 45% 26 min. 100max.
rain: 0

AM Hunt: Friday 10-08-10


I had to force myself out of bed this morning and I stayed wrapped up in the covers until the last minute. If it were not for seeing a new buck on the trail cam in the daylight from the morning before I don’t think I could have mustered the will power to go. I have been hunting every morning and evening for over a week trying to shoot one of these racked bucks that are showing up on my trail camera and I just can‘t seem to see one.

Well, dragging myself out of bed finally paid off this morning and it was a great little hunt. I would have liked to have been there a little earlier but it was the best I could do. I was settled in and ready for action just a minute or two after 7:00. About 12 minutes later I looked over my shoulder down the 5th row to the west and spotted a deer…..flat forehead with the patch of hair there a little lighter than the face….. Buck!

I swung the camera around and got him in the frame and then got a quick look with my glasses… a forked horn! And one I have not seen on the trail cam before.

He started down the 5th row but he was moving a little fast and he was tracking with his nose on the ground. He was not there for the corn and since he had not been on the cam before I quickly guessed he may not know it was even there. He made a 90deg. Turn away from me once and I drew on him there but he turned back and I knew then he was going to get closer so I let him come on. I reached down real quick and zoomed in just a little and panned just ahead to an opening between the trees. I wished I had zoomed just a little more. It was so early the footage is a little grainy and I don’t think you can really see the arrow flight. You could definitely hear the impact however and he did a great cow kick and you can see the arrow flip out and fall to the ground. He loped off with his tail flipping erratically, a sure sign of a good hit.

He did not make it but maybe 50yds and was piled up. I got the whole thing on video and never lost him in the frame even when he charged off., pretty impressive.


About 15 minutes later I spotted a deer to the east and saw it come into the pine stand with me, headed my way. It turned out to be a doe with two yearlings, one a doe and the other a buck. Apparently she has not bread yet or she would have ran him off.
After they moved off I got down and inspected the arrow….blood from stem to stern! I said “self, I think I’ve seen this before, this looks real good!”

It was time to beat it to the house and pick up my daughter Morgan so I could get her to school. I would have to come back after that to make the recovery.

The track went well and Lacy found the buck in short order. He had maybe gone 50yds.

He was a nice little fork horned buck and I believe him to have been 2 1/2yrs old. I look at his teeth. Later to confirm that.

As soon as I can get the video edited I’ll get it posted. Hard to say how long that will take.

For now here’s some pictures of deer #2 for 2010:

When I checked the trail camera’s card later that morning I saw 3 bucks had been there over night along with a few does.

Best of hunts,
Larry S.

No comments:

Post a Comment