Thursday, September 23, 2010

Rocky Boots - "Bear Claw" Review

.
I had a major boot failure this weekend while out scouting on opening day of Bow season and it got me thinking about all the hunting boots I have owned and what were the best, longest lasting and leak free. Leak free being one of my personal pet peeves. Once a boot leaks it is of no use to me for hunting except maybe an afternoon hunt on a hill somewhere. I hate wet feet!

What prompted this post was actually a pair of Sportsman Guide, GuideGear boots that I purchased on sale, maybe 2 years ago but never got around to wearing until this weekend. The bottoms literally started falling off! by the time I made it back to the 4wheeler one was only hanging on by the toe and these are brand new! There biggest flaw it that the sole is a glue on type with a little wrap up onto the sides and that just does not work! Of course you can guess where they were made......China. Obviously, I would never consider taking a boot like this on a hunt away from home and they were only intended for local hunting. Their allure was the inexpensive price but more than that the waterproof lining. I will never know if that was a failure also. Check out the post  and picture of these.... Guide Gear Boot Review. I don't know if they are even selling these anymore but if you haven't already guessed....I would not recommend them!

Other than your gun or bow, your boots are arguably one of your most important item of gear. They have to be broken in, comfortable and waterproof. This is most critical if you are hunting out West where long distance walking is a mandatory. Additionally, wet feet are a recipe for disaster in cold conditions. Even a heavy dew is enough to soak your feet in non waterproof boots.

This leads me to the point of this post, my Rocky "Bear Claw" boots. Possibly the best boot I have ever owned! I have Three pair of varying age right now and you can see them in the attached photo. 800 grams of thinsulate insulation and waterproofed with a goretex lining among other features.

The one on the left with all the wear is my original pair. These boots have seen at least 14 hunting seasons! That is remarkable. They have seen it all, including at least 6 years in Idaho and 8yrs in Illinois, rocks, mud, snow and ice. Never leaked a drop until this year but as you can see, its time for retirement. the bottoms started to crumble two seasons ago and are now unusable. They can be  resoled but as they have started to leak there is no point in that. Do I need to mention where they are made.......USA!

That leads to the back up pair of Bear Claws I bought on sale a couple of years ago, knowing that the originals were all but used up. They are made in the Dominican Republic! Just Great! These are the solid brown ones in the center of the photo. Well the leaked shortly after I started using them and are now reserved  for dry hunts only. I hope this leak issue is just bad luck but not being made in the USA is nagging at me that this is a problem that all Rocky boots may now be prone to.

Well, out of my love and respect for the first pair I have bought a third pair. That is them on the right. Also made in the Dominican Republic. I am going to start breaking them in this weekend as they are really for my up coming trips to hunt our lease in Illinois. After those hunts are over I'll let you know how this pair fared. I hope I did not make a mistake!

If you can find a pair of old stock that are made in USA, I would definitely recommend buying them but I need to put some miles on the imported version before I can say the same for them.

Buy USA! (if you can)

Good luck and Keep your feet dry!
Larry S.

Here's an info link and they are a great price but
buy at your own risk until i can put some time in
the ones I have.


Here's the end of season update on the Rocky's.......Rocky Bear Claw Update #1
Added Jan. 13,11.   L.S.

3 comments:

  1. Hi - I have a pair of bear claw boots I bought about 14 years ago - love them. Use them for hunting, back woods working and deep snow walking/hiking in northern Michigan. The weirdest things - I went to put them on this season and the bottoms were pretty much rotted out. I hate to trash them or have to buy a new pair b/c the upper and boot itself is fine. Going to see if I can have them re-soled. have you tried that with any of your pairs? Appreciate any insight you can give.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a pair of Rocky Bear Claw boots that have a bar code indicating that they were made in the USA. I just had them resoled by the local Amish in my area so they are like new. Let me know if you are interested in looking at a picture of them. I am selling them. My email is divainthedell@centurylink.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan, as long as your Rocky's are not leaking I would consider having a new sole installed. Any good boot/shoe repair shop should be able to handle the job. Let me know how you make out.
    Personally, I am done with Rocky, I have purchased 3 bear claws and 3 low country models since my first pair that served me so well. All of these have leaked rather quickly though they are promoted as "WATERPROOF".
    Thanks for reading,
    Larry S.

    ReplyDelete