Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Robin Hood!

.
For all of you that don't know, Archery season opens here in central Florida this weekend. I just built a brand new set of arrows  for the occasion. One dozen finely tuned meat missiles. I weighed each and every component on a grain scale and matched everything together, ground off tiny amounts for exact weight and added small set screws to the back of my inserts to bump up my f.o.c. a little. All dozen arrows finished out to within 1/2 gr.  of each other. It was really quite a bit of work.

Last night I decided to shoot a little with my broadheads and see if I need any last minute adjustments. Usually I pick different spots when shooting broadheads and only shoot one arrow at any one target so I don't ruin an arrow....you probably already figured out where I'm going....a robin hood!

Well, I'm not sure whether I should be glad or sad about this. I guess I'm out a brand new XX75 either way. Actually quartered the alum. uni-bushing! I found one of the pieces, you can see it in the lower photo.

If I can shoot like this when I get out in the tree I guess it will be worth it!
     
Most people have converted to carbon arrows at this point but it's hard to beat the Easton XX75 and XX78. I used the Pinwheel archery program to fine tune my shaft size and the 2215, while a little uncommon, was right on the money. The aluminum shaft is typically twice as straight as carbon and half the price (or less) of quality carbon or carbon/alum., etc.. I personally prefer XX78 but they were not available in 2215 so I went to the XX78 CAMO HUNTER. They even come with uni-bushings for easy nock adjustment.

Steve Kelly, Owner of American Sports in Havana Illinois, did call me a dinosaur when I had him build me a few last year when I ran short on a hunt there but why fool with something that works so good.

I took a gobbler, (2) hogs and more than a dozen whitetails last year with these aluminum shafts. Hard to argue with that!

You'll notice in the picture I'm fletched these shafts
with AAE's new Maxi-Hunter 2.2 vanes. They are
2.125"l.x.59"h. and control my muzzy's just fine. I
prefer them to blazer types as they are a little more pliable and are ribbed to create a little more drag
for stabilization. They are far more durable than the
standard AAE 4" vane. I can shoot clean thru a "Block" target and the vanes look perfect!

Good luck and send me some harvest pictures!

Larry

P.S.
If you doubt the effectiveness of a Muzzy have a look at my Muzzy vs. Deer Spine post!
http://trophy-hunting.blogspot.com/2010/02/muzzy-vs-deer-spine.html

Below are a couple of links to Amazon with pretty reasonable prices on these shafts and fletch if anybody needs some.

No comments:

Post a Comment