Thursday, October 4, 2012

Florida Bow Hunting Report 2012 #3

.

Sept. 22, 2012
Major Feed Time:
Wind Direction: E (light while hunting)
Time Hunted: AM: 6:30-9:00 PM: 6:30-7:45
Weather: clear
Humidity: 69-85%
Temp.: 75-84
Barometer: 30.1
Moon phase: first quarter


Since there has only been 2 deer at my west fence stand in a week and the buck block stand has only had some does and yearlings, I had to hunt the kill zone stand again. It was uneventful in the morning but that afternoon I had a nice doe come in to 15 yds.

She was extremely cautious as almost all deer are when coming into a feeder. She stood off down a trail for what seemed like 5-8 minutes, listening and scent checking. Finally she committed to coming in but I decided shooting a doe that afternoon was not something I wanted to really do, especially since the video light was gone and the harvest could not be filmed. I got reprimand from my hunting buddy SteveO for letting that one slip by but I was glad not to have to fish another deer out of the flooded woods.

I did have another deer that I could hear pushing thru the thick flat behind the stand that was on its way to me but the wind was drifting that way and it ended up smelling me before I got to see it. I suspect it was another doe as it crashed off blowing back to where it had come from.

The afternoon is always a tough hunt when a deer comes in from down wind. You are just almost always going to get discovered. The two deer had approached the stand from 180 degrees from each other. In fact, that is one thing that makes this stand such a good stand. it is somewhat of a hub surrounded by bedding areas. I don't see a lot of deer there but it is always good for 2-3 bucks each year.

Sunday the 23, was uneventful and no deer were seen. There have been only a handful of deer shot in the club.

My friend Rick Edwards shot a nice 8pt Monday morning. He has been getting some really outstanding bucks on his trail cameras lately and has even gotten a look at the buck with the forked G2 but did not get a shot at him.   Things should start picking up now as the feeding times are getting around to daylight and dark.   Larry S.

No comments:

Post a Comment