Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Florida Bow Hunting Report 10-16-12

.
Tues., Oct. 16, 12

Major Feed Time: PM
Wind Direction: NE 5-7 mph
Time Hunted: PM: 6:00 -7:15
Weather: mostly clear
Humidity: 69-85%
Temp.: 75-84
Barometer: 30.0
Moon phase: 2 days past New Moon

Well, I just don't know what to say! I am thoroughly disgusted with both my videoing and my shooting.

I hunted at my property this afternoon and on the way in I decided to charge up the feed in front of the stand and pull the trail camera card. I know better than to walk in front of the stand before the hunt but it is usually not a problem. It caught up with me tonight. I always approach from the side the deer NEVER come in from so I expect a shot before the deer ever get to where I have walked. Even if they do cut my sign, It has not been a problem to this point.

I spotted the first deer of the hunt at 6:10 PM, slipping down the far side of the chop at about 80yds, paralleling my location. It appeared to be the momma less doe fawn I see regularly. She was making a bee line for the feeder at the back of the chop.

Other than a sparrow hawk, it was pretty uneventful for the next hour. About 7:10 I looked to the south, the direction the deer almost never come from and there is a deer, already 40yds out into the chop. It looked like a pretty good deer and I suspected it may be a buck when I saw it. It was the big spike I have been hunting. This was the first time I have laid eyes on him.

I turned the camera on and started to follow the deer as he turned towards the stand. he eased his way in and I decided to take the shot at 18yds, quartering away.

I pulled the string and as I came to full draw the buck snapped to attention, looking towards my tree. I put the 20yd pin on his elbow and pulled the trigger.

The next thing I know my shaft slaps him high in the back and the buck goes screaming off back to the SW at a high rate of speed and I hear him go splashing off through the young pine stand. He stops after about 150yds and starts blowing at me!

The only thing I can figure is he squatted the shot but at 18yds that hardly seems possible. I still can't believe it!

To make it a total loss.....after the shot I sat down and turned to the camera only to realize the little red light was NOT ON! Unbelievable!! I don't know what else to do to remind myself to push the frickin record button,    !$*%!$#!

I am going to put the next few days in that stand and hope beyond hope that I can get another crack at him quickly. It's a long shot. He will likely over our encounter but he is going to be pretty soar for a while.

Push the record button, push the record button, push the record button, push the record button,Push the record button, push the record button, push the record button, push the record button,Push the record button, push the record button, push the record button, push the record button,Push the record button, push the record button, push the record button, push the record button,Push the record button, push the record button, push the record button, push the record button,Push the record button, push the record button, push the record button, push the record button,Push the record button, push the record button, push the record button, push the record button,Push the record button, push the record button, push the record button, push the record button.................

If there was a bright spot it was the buck activity on the trail camera at the stand over the last couple of days. Here are a few of those pic's.





Best of Hunts,
Larry Stephens



No comments:

Post a Comment