Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Muzzleload Hunting Report - 0pening Weekend Oct. 21, 2012

.
The weather for the opening weekend of muzzleload season turned out to be outstanding. It sure was a welcome change from the humid days of bow season. As a matter of fact I had to wear some light thermals and a jacket to handle the 4 mile 4-wheeler ride opening morning. I expect it was 58-60 degrees that morning.

Even better than the cool down was the fact that I shook off the streak of bad luck from last week and downed a nice 5pt on opening morning! I even remembered to punch the record button this time and got some great video of the hunt.

The buck I shot had been on the trail camera a few times but there is a 6pt that had been coming there pretty regularly in the daylight in the mornings. I really thought the 6 would be the first to fall.

I got into the stand about 20 minutes before shooting light and got all my equipment prepped and operational. As the sky started to lightened and I began to be able to see the ground, the same ritual I have seen thousands of times before began. First the hoot owls started in the creek bottom, The red birds start up next and in a short time every bird that chirps is singing. Once it was light enough for the squirrels to be able to see enough to jump from limb to limb they were crashing cabbage fans all around. With the high pressure and cool temp.’s, all the critters were stirring. The moon was even in about the right position for a major feed.

About 7:40 AM I heard a faint noise to my left across a small drainage. There was one small hole that I could see thru, to the leaf covered hammock floor, no more than 30yds distant. Just then I saw the back end of a dark deer slipping through. It paused for a moment behind a screen of oak limbs to test the air before crossing the drainage. I could just make out his legs through the limbs.

Once he felt the coast was clear he eased ahead, not making a sound. He walked out into the opening in front of the stand at about 18yds. I already had the rifle up, supported in my left hand at the ready. My right hand was busy operating the video camera. After a few moments, the buck through his head up kind of suspicious like and that was all I could take…..It was time to drop the hammer, literally. I shoot a T/C Encore which has an exposed hammer.

I touched her off and instantly the whole area in front of the stand was engulfed in white smoke. I just caught a glimpse of a flash of white from the buck at the shot, within a couple seconds came a faint crash and I knew the buck was down.

With almost no wind to push the smoke away, it just hung in the trees below and it seemed like forever before it drifted away enough to see the ground and realize the buck was not within sight. I was a little surprised actually.

I gave him a few minutes and reloaded the gun.

Once on the ground I started looking for some blood in the direction I thought the buck had gone. I missed the beginning of the blood which was faint and just small specks and drops in the leaf litter. I started after approx. 15 yds but with the smoke, I really had no clue which direction he had gone. He had actually left going straight away from the stand to the west and jumped the drainage on the way. About 20 yds beyond I could see his white belly showing. He had made it only about 45 yards, shot thru both lungs, just in the back edge of the shoulders.

I have to admit, this was the least blood trail I have ever seen from a T/C Shockwave bullet. As a rule, these things leave a blood trail that is as good as you will ever see from any weapon. Not this one, though the buck suffered some devastating damage.

I was able to get my 4wheeler all the way to the deer so there was no dragging to be done. It was all down hill coasting from there.

That evening I was running late again. I had to go to work to finish up a small house plan and got held up by a drunk, crack-head prostitute! No really, I’m serious…..

 

----------I saw a nice little spike buck Sunday morning but decided to let that one pass.

----------I had just enough provision to camp again Sunday night. Hunted Rick’s stand in the Buck block but did not see and deer. The wind was back and fourth.

----------trail cam pics, bear, buck standing on back feet, squirrels ate up my feeder bucket.

It was a one great opening day, perfect hunting weather, great video footage and the harvest of a fine buck with the ole smoke pole. It don’t get much better than that!

Best of hunts,

Larry S.

No comments:

Post a Comment