Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Deer vs Chevy!


Talk about a freak accident......I was driving across my hay field after dark last night when a young doe busts out from around an island of trees and dead centers the nose of my Chevy pickup! BAAAM!

I had been floundering the night before and speared a few fish. The fish parts were in a bucket in the back of my pickup and I intended to stop by the property and dump them in the pond for my catfish to enjoy.

Unfortunately, I got off work pretty late and by the time I got to the property it was well after dark.

I turned in the dirt drive between two small hay fields and headed for the pond. As I neared the end of the road I saw a doe take off across the field ahead but quartering away to the NE. I had to turn a 90 to the west along a small island of trees that is only about 30' long. Just as I was getting to the end of the trees another deer bolts out from behind the island running full out! This happened so quick I barely got my foot on the brake.

The yearling crashed dead center into the nose of the truck and busted about half of the license plate cover off. The deer was running so low to the ground she did not even impact any of the grill and ended up just under the left front of the truck. I couldn't have been going more then 8-10 mph.

The deer was dead by the time I got out of the truck. The collision had broken its back in 2 locations.

There was nothing that could be done at that point except to salvage the meat. I had a cooler in the back of the truck so I pulled the deer out and skinned and quartered her right there on the ground like it was a pack job.

I thought I was done with any deer cleaning chore, at least for another year!

The whole thing was such a fluke that I shot a little video of the aftermath to post here.....

 
Be careful out there,
Larry S.

No comments:

Post a Comment