Friday, October 7, 2011

Florida Bow Hunting Report #3 - Sept. 26, 2011

Florida Bow Hunting Report #3
Sept. 26, 11, Second Weekend


Friday, Sept. 23,11

Friday afternoon I usually knock off early, load the ATV, Lacy my blue tick and all the other necessary gear and head for the hunting club for the weekend but I got tied up and had to fall back on my back up plan and hunt at the house.
There was not much to report. The total deer sightings for the evening was zero! The corn had barely been touched and there was not to much for trail camera activity. This stand is really off this year. I think the bumper crop of palmetto berries is mostly to blame. The acorns had a pretty good year also and the deer just don’t need to move much to fill their paunch.



Saturday, Sept. 24,11
I headed for Cabbage creek this morning. My plan was to hunt the Kill zone Stand as it is my only stand with good deer activity. When I was settled in the stand I glassed over to the neighbors stand across the line and there he sat! This pretty much set the tone for how the rest of the weekend would play out. There was no activity at my stand but when I got down and checked the trail camera it had an astounding 1250 pictures in one week!

The old notch eared doe. She's been here for 2 years and I have
never laid eyes on her!





My hunting buddy Steve killed a small doe with his crossbow to break the ice for this year. He made a good shot on the deer but the blood trail provided by the two blade Rage head was weak. Tracking help was render by a couple other club members and a recovery was made in a hundred yards or so.

Another club member killed a 4 pt of some kind but I did not get to see it.
There had been a considerable amount of buck activity on the cameras this week including (3) different buck fights. As usual, most of the activity was under the cover of dark but there had been (4) different bucks at the kill zone stand during shooting light. Of course I was elsewhere.
Sunday, Sept. 25,11

This mornings hunt was also uneventful. However, when I reviewed the trail camera pictures there had been a great looking 9pt at one of my stands but that is the only deer that has been by there. I decided to stay and hunt the evening hunt after seeing the big 9. The weather however, was threatening and looked like it could develop into some severe storms. I ended up getting rained on (3) different times but only lightly and never really got wet. Once again the deer sightings were zero!
That’s pretty much the report for now.
Good Luck!

Larry S.
 





















No comments:

Post a Comment