Saturday, October 8, 2011

Florida Bow Hunting Report #4 - Oct. 2, 2011

Florida Bow Hunting Report #4

Oct. 2, 11, Third Weekend

I got in a few hunts during the week but they were pretty uneventful until Friday morning. I had decided to run over to the club and put in a short hunt at the kill zone. About 7:15 I noticed a deer standing in a mow on the neighbor’s property. I put the glasses on it and to my surprise it turned out to be the smaller of the two 7pt’s that have been showing up on the trail camera regularly. I thought he was going to come my way but he turned and went towards the neighbors feeder. I could hear him moving through the bushes but couldn’t see him. After a few minutes and no deer I thought he was gone. About 30 minutes later he pops out of our pine plantation into the fire brake and walk away back across the mow, the direction he originally came from. It was encouraging to finally see a decent buck and things were looking up.


Saturday, Oct. 1,11, Steve-O my Hero shoots a double!


I went back to the kill zone stand for the morning hunt hoping the 7pt would show back up. The weather had made a welcome change and it was in the 50’s this morning. Steve and I made the 5 mile journey south on our atv’s and it was a chilly ride.
Later that morning I heard Steve on his atv and I figured he must have killed to be down that early. When I came out I found him sitting at the head of the road, about to pee his pants with a deer on the back of his machine. It was a nice 6” spike. Steve said “I need some help, I shot another buck but can’t find the arrow or the deer.”


Back at Steve’s stand he recounted how he had shot the deer and we looked over the crime scene…no blood, no bolt! We moved in the direction the deer had gone and after a few minutes Steve found a little blood. We were able to piece things together and after a short 50yd trail we found a nice 3pt.


Steve’s rage tipped bolt had hit the deer high on the ribs and only penetrated about 4-5”. It was enough to just penetrate the off lung. Not very impressive performance by the “Rage Head”.

We had our work cut out for us…..not one but two deer to quarter and get on ice.

The cross bow had really changed Steve’s harvest performance. If you can believe this…..He’s up on me by three! Never before in recorded history has this happened. I have had a black cloud following me that I just can’t shake and now it’s effecting my bow season. I just hope it’s gone before I get to Illinois!
Sunday, Oct. 2,11


Big buck in the rain!
I hunted the buck block stand after see a really nice buck on the trail cam there and seeing some does show up in the daylight for the first time. You guessed it….I saw exactly zero deer!
The bear has been here regularly as well, even in the daylight.

Here’s some pic’s from the camera’s  (note that the date/time on some of these are not correct, I forgot to set it when I put the camera out.)

Larry





















No comments:

Post a Comment