Sunday, September 23, 2007

Bow hunting report - Florida 2007-1

Bow Report 2007: Florida -1
Sept. 22, 2007 ( PM hunt) #1

Wind: east 5+/-
temp.: l. 75, h. 86
moon: 4 days before full
major feed:        pm
pressure: 30.05
humidity: avg. 89%
rain: 0



Its been wet, hot and muggy to the point of misery but the skeeters haven't been to bad. We had 6" of rain just before the season opened and everything is underwater.

How is this for a good start to the 2007 bow season.... Friday night, the eave of opening day, I was doing a little last minute shooting when  the upper idler wheel on my Mathews Feathermax bow pulled out of the end of the limb at full draw! It literally exploded in my hand! Just about knocked me out! I did not even know what happened for a second.....one minute I'm at full draw and the next I'm holding a handful of spaghetti and I'm seeing stars!
 
Capt. Rick, one of my best hunting buddies let me borrow his new Switchback and with a few tweaks of the sights i was back in business.
 
Rick's weapon was thus unproven in battle but that was all about to change.
 
The first afternoon I hunted a stand in a section of flooded pines and shortly before dark two does made their way in to the stand and I put a shaft thru the boiler room of the larger doe. She splashed off thru the flooded timber out of sight. I had been wait in for the situation I could put my new pup to work on and it was time to see what she could do.
 
Here is the link to the tracking story: Lacy's first track!
 
Lacy did an unbelievable job and made a successful 100 yd track in completely flooded conditions.
 
It turned out to be a nice 90# type doe.
 
I sent my bow off to Mathews to be repaired. We'll see what happens with that.
 
I was proud to break in Rick's bow right and I hope he don't mess up the lucky I have blessed  it with.
 
More to follow, let the games begin!
 
Larry s.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment