Saturday, September 22, 2007

Lacy, My 12 Week Old Bluetick Pup Finds First Deer!

.
Sept. 22, 2007

This was so incredible I had to share it with everybody.

Lacy, my new blood trail prospect just found her first deer! Absolutely incredible!

I shot a 90# doe on the afternoon of the opening day of bow season in s stand of flooded pine trees. The deer splashed off thru the flood water and out of sight. I had been waiting for this moment, although I had not planned for such a difficult track for her first live exercise. Lacy and I have been training just about every day on short blood tracks I have laid for her.

Well, she just turned 12 weeks plus three days and sucessfully recovered the deer on her first real track in belly deep water! Pretty remarkable for such a young pup under those extreme conditions. I could hardly believe it!

There was another deer involved in the deal and Lacy made one loose and got off on the wrong deer. I recognizing her mistake and I took her back to the last blood and she straightened it out from there and went right to the deer.


The doe was literally floating in an old flooded pull trail, 2/3 submerged and Lacy was all but swimming by the time she found the deer! A 100 yd track in flooded conditions the whole way! Had I not seen it with my own two eyes I would not have believed it.

I gave Lacy some well deserved praise and began rafting the deer out to the hill. When we got back to the truck and started getting ready to take some pictures I turned around and Lacy was eating my our deer! I don't mean just licking it, she was tearing into the thing like she was half starved to death. It was a sight to see. She LOVES these things!

Here's some pictures of her first find




She sure looks like she is going to make one fine blood trail dog.

Best of Hunts,
Larry S.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment