Sunday, November 18, 2012

Another Successful Guided Hog Hunt!

.
This is a short video of a hog hunt I guided in late October. The Hunter is Ed Acierno of Palm Coast, Fl. and was accompanied by his brother Mike.

We began our expedition by stopping off at one of the feeders at the ranch to see what sign we could find. There were so many turkeys on the pasture that every scrap of corn had been wiped out. We walked over to the close corner of the pasture to see if the live oaks were dropping and look for some hog sign. Their were green & whites (live oak acorns) everywhere and all the hog, deer and turkey sign you could ever want to see. As we were walking back to the feeder a whole herd of about 10-12 hogs came trotting out of the woods to check the feeder. We were caught off guard looking at the ground for sign and the hogs spotted us before we knew they were there. That put the whole group right back in the woods. That was all Ed and Mike needed to see, they wanted to go no further! "let's just hunt right here!"

I wanted them to have a little more of a hunt than that so we headed over to a little hammock section where I hoped we could get on a decent hog in the woods. We slipped quietly along the hammock edge for for a while but the hogs never showed. At that point and it was getting a little late so we slipped across the pasture from the other side to see if that first group was back at the feeder. There were hogs of all shapes and sizes there picking up corn.

The decision was made, we'd stalk the pasture feeder using a small out building to mask our movement.

One of the more memorable parts of the hunt was just after Ed had shot his Hog. He was using a .308
and had shot an 80lb guilt square on. I was so involved in videoing the hunt that I was not really paying proper attention to the shot angle.  When we walked up to the downed hog I couldn't remember what angle it had been standing at the shot.

The hog still had a little kick left in it when we got to it despite having taken a direct shot to the forehead from Ed's .308.

Ed was eager to apply a finishing shot from his .22 pistol but I held him off....."no, she's done, I related." After a few more moments of kicking I decided I had better have a look at the shot. It looked like the bullet had entered just right of center and had come out the eye. It appeared to be a quartering shot that had just clipped the skull.

I decided to have Ed put a .22 in the ear just to be safe. "Go ahead and shoot her in the ear Ed but hold it right up close so it's not so loud."
What I didn't realize was that the hog had been standing square on and the bulged out eye was from the expansion of the head shot which had devastated the inside of the head.

When Ed pulled the trigger on the pistol the pooled blood in the head went everywhere! Ed was covered in a fine red mist! Unfortunately, I had turned the camera off at that point.

We all got a little laugh out of that and it was time for the work to begin. I quartered the hog right there on the tail gate of my truck, the hog was in the cooler and my job was done!

I hope you enjoy the video.


If you are interested in a guided hog hunt with me at Bull Creek, you can contact me through my guide site at www.guidedturkeyhunting.com 

I can provide both fall and spring turkey hunts as well as Hog Hunts.
I will post some more videos shortly of the hogs and turkey.......you can't even
believe the number of turkeys using there right now. If you are looking for a fall turkey hunt
It is a guaranteed harvest right now.

The most recent count of birds on the pasture was just short of 100! with 11 jakes
and 13 trophy longbeards. I am about to head up to our lease in illinois for a muzzleload hunt
but as soon as I get back I'll get some video of them.


Best of hunts,
Larry S.

No comments:

Post a Comment