Sunday, November 25, 2012

A Muzzleload Bullet To Die For! Optimum Accuracy and Performance!

.
Is your Muzzleload bullet coming up short? Here's the cure for what ails you!

I have been hunting with muzzleloaders for a long time now, over 25 years to be exact. My first smoke pole was a .50 cal. CVA Hawkins that I built from a kit. It was as accurate as any I ever saw for open sights and round balls.

I killed my first muzzleload buck with that gun on the opening morning of my first muzzleload season. I don't think the hunt even lasted an hour. I had climbed up on a massive downed live oak in the middle of a big hardwood swamp in central Florida. The tree was over 3 feet in diameter and the trunk was clear of the ground by almost 4'. I set up with my back against the fan of roots sticking up in the air and it gave me a good vantage of the open swamp, a prettier place you never saw!

It was a cool October morning and there was just a bit of fog hanging in the swamp. I hadn't been sitting there long when I heard the sound of running deer and they were coming my way. I cocked  my hammer and got turned that direction. About that time three does came into view and they were hauling the mail! Not far behind was a big cow horned spike. As he neared I tried to stop him twice but he was so involved in the chase it did not phase him. By this time the Buck was just getting to the limbs of the downed oak I was in. I had to do something quick or he was going to get by me. I just hollered out....HEY!  The buck stopped in his tracks at about 15 yds, I dropped the hammer and he hit the ground where he stood!

I don't think I could have dreamed up a more classic muzzleload hunt.

The old round ball did the job that day and I am sure it has probably killed more than any other bullet to date. The only problem is that many of the deer shot with round balls are not recovered. They just don't leave much, if any of a blood trail. I can't tell you how many deer I helped other hunters track back in those days that were never found.

There has been a lot of different bullet designs since then but some real advances have been made over the last few years. Among the best of these are the latest designs with polymer ballistic tips like the Hornaday SST, Thompson Center Shockwave and possibly the Power Belts though I have not personally seen many deer shot with these. It is my understanding that Hornaday actually builds the Shockwave for T/C and I can personally vouch for the Shockwaves. I have never seen a better performing muzzleload bullet.

I get some extremely good accuracy with the .50 cal., 200 gr. Shockwave bullets and the performance on game is un-matched, bar none! Some of the blood trails I have seen these things produce have been nothing short of incredible, comparable to any weapon, even modern high powered rifles. As a matter of fact, most of the deer I have shot with these bullets left a blood trail better than any I can remember from my Browning A-Bolt in .30-06.

I have all of my friends shooting the Shockwaves now and they are reporting the same results that I have been seeing. Great accuracy and even better blood trails! At least when one is able to run off.

I would say that most people seem to prefer the 250 gr. bullet for some reason.

A number of years ago I purchased a new Thompson Center Encore from Bass Pro Shops. I decide to go with the stainless model just to save myself some headaches with the corrosiveness of the propellants.  We were leasing a farm in Illinois where you could really stretch your barrel at times and my Remington 11-87 Premier just wasn't up to the job, even with a fully rifled slug barrel. I tried evey slug you can imagine and the accuracy was terrible. The bullet performance on the deer I shot with it was even worse with the Remington Copper Solids I was using. They were the only thing that even shot close to good and that was a 2.5"-3" group at 100yds.

I needed something with better performance than that and I found it in the T/C Encore. It will shoot 1.25"-1.5" groups at 100yds and has an effective range of over 200yds. Twice that of most shotguns. It really likes the Shockwave Bullets though the 200 gr. are a snug fit. In my friends T/C Omega they were really tight while the 250 gr. bullets fed much easier.

My personal load consists of 118gr of loose pyrodex, a 200gr Shockwave and Remington 209 primers.

While researching the Hornady SST bullets I see that they are considerably less money than the T/C Shockwaves and come in a box of 25 rather than the 15 you get from T/C. They are pretty pricey when you think about it. The Shockwaves are almost a buck a bullet. Unfortunately, other bullets just can't provide the performance these bullets can.

If your muzzleload bullet has been letting you down give the SST's or the Shockwaves a try, I guarantee you will thank me for the advice!

Best of  Hunts,
Larry Stephens

I could only find the Super Glides on Amazon though I shoot the regular Shockwaves with the blue sabots myself. You can get some info on these bullets at the links below.

No comments:

Post a Comment