Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Rocky Boots Review - "15" Low Country Snake Boots"

.
I don't know about you but I really don't like wearing rubber boots. I know they have come a long ways in their fit and finish but the good ones cost as much as a regular boot, they are generally heavy and once your feet are wet, that's it, they don't breathe and they don't dry easily.

Another thing I can't stand with the less expensive rubber boots  that fit loose at the calf is the fop, fop, fop noise they make when you walk. During spring gobbler I typically cover a lot of ground and that usually means blisters.

Here in Florida, its mandatory to have waterproof footware period. Really, I don't know how you could get around it anywhere. If you hunt in the morning while the dew is still on the ground, you just got your feet wet if your boots aren't waterproof. Wet feet I do not like!

Well, a few years back I came across a great deal on some waterproof snake boots on the Sportsman Guide from my favorite boot company, Rocky. They were "15" Low Counrty Snake Boots" with goretex water protection! A regular style, slip on boot, calf high and 100% waterproof. I'm there!

I don't have a big concern about snakes even though I run across a number of cotton mouth's while turkey hunting in mud swamps , cypress ponds, etc. so the snake proof part was just a bonus.

I ordered a pair. I think they were on sale for $62 and change and regularly about $129 bucks. I really liked them. They fit relatively good right out of the box. They have an adjustible calf and didn't make any noise.

Now the down side, there's always a down side! In short order they were leaking! That makes them almost useless to me. I returned them for and exchange. Hoping it was just that boot, I bought another pair in addition to the new exchanged pair. Well guess what? the second pair leaked also. I made it thru hunting season but they leaked the following season. I used them as I was hunting a lot of high ground that year and I had some alternate waterproof boots to ware when I needed them.

This year I discovered some turekys using a dried up pond. Kind of a wet parie thing and the first time I hunted it i got my feet soaked just from walking in the wet peat of the pond bottom. I have just broke out the third pair and made the first hunt there with them and they are dry so far.

All of the exterior stitching has held up well with no damage to them at what so ever.











Beyond the leak issue, the only other fault I found was the foot insert top lining came unglued and came off on boots. Other than that they have performed well and I can't help but like them.


Here are some photo's of the second pair and the third pair before they went to the field.

The boot is still available here and there. I'll keep you posted how the third pair is holding up.

I think its time for me to give Rocky's customer service a call and let them know their water proof system is a problem. I sure they must be aware as (4) new rocky's I have bought that I can think of that have all leaked. Two bear claws and two low country's.

Everything on the interior has held up well!

The tread shows a little wear but i think this is season 3 for them.

keep your powder and your feet dry.

Larry S.

See the first follow up posting here: Rocky boots review-15" low country snake update #1

No comments:

Post a Comment