Saturday, November 20, 2010

Muzzleload Season Report, Florida 2010-23 Buck #6...Bear Caught!!

.
Muzzleload Season Report, Florida 2010-23

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Wind: NE, light
temp.: l 73 , h. 78
moon: quarter moon
major feed: 4:45 am, 5:10 pm
pressure: 30.14 rising
humidity: avg. 51% 44 min. 57max.
rain: 0 today

AM Hunt:

I headed for the huntin' club early this morning and stopped at a 24 hour Walmart for necessary provision for the weekend.

I had planned to hunt my kill zone stand this morning but I soon realized the neighbor on the adjoining property was already here and most likely siting in his stand which is only 45 yds from mine. That caused me to change my plan and head for another stand,  Moccasin Drain.

About 7:45 I shot a nice buck that turned out to be a 5pt. What happened next was nothing short of unbelievable  and probably one of the most incredible things I have ever seen in the woods. Here's a link to the hole story..... http://trophy-hunting.blogspot.com/2010/11/wart-buck-and-bear.html

To make a long story short a rather large black bear came charging in and caught my still live deer by the throat and proceeded to run off with it. I was able to run him off and I quickly got down so I could get the deer out of there before the bear came back.

Another interesting part to the story was that the deer was covered in warts! He had a particularly large growth on the right side of his jaw. I don't think I have ever seen anything like it before. Pretty interesting.

The disappointing part was that I only got a small part of the whole show on video. I only got a few seconds of the bear and the camera was not zoomed so you just see a black dot at the edge of the palmettos.

It was some kind of exciting though!


PM. Hunt:

I decided I would hunt the buck block stand that afternoon but with all I had to do including checking my rifle's sight after the high hit on the buck that morning,  I got to the stand with only about an hour to hunt.

Well, about 30minutes before dark I heard something coming . I got the camera rolling thinking I was about to see a deer and down the trail comes another bear! This one had a broken right front foot and walked with it upside down on his wrist.

He got in front of the trail camera and picked up corn until he finally smelled me. Then he started tracking me down the trail I had used to get to the stand! Lucky for me he missed where I stepped off to go to the tree I was in. When he got in an open place in the trail I kissed at him to stop him and snapped a picture of him.

He realized something was wrong and in a blink he was crashing off thru the woods.

Of course no  deer showed up with the bear having been around.

When I looked at the trail camera card I was shocked to see I had pictures with three bears in the frame at the same time! incredible!




Good Luck,
Larry S.

No comments:

Post a Comment