Thursday, May 1, 2014

THE DEVIL OF THE DIKE!

I cannot now remember how many days I have been hunting this gobbler, 
but it is many!

I should have walked away from this bird in favor of something more cooperative, 
but I could not.

I have killed thinking it was him, but I was mistaken!

I have come close to shooting him, but only once.

I have scoured the woods only to find him strutting in the road within 100yds of my truck, 
parked in plain sight.

More than once I have stood exactly where he had stood, 
but 15 minutes ahead of me.

I have given up the hunt only to return the next day and find he showed 30 minutes after I departed.

I have sat in a blind for 7 hours straight only to have him strut to within 90yds and fade back down the road., offering no shot.

Now on this next to the last day of the season, the hunt has come to an end for us both.

This game will be played no more!

I have shot the devil down!
only to watch him rise again,
resurrected!

Yes, I am sure of it, this was the devil!

Larry Stephens, 2:15 pm, April 19, 2014, 
The Dike road, Quigley Bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment