Saturday, November 30, 2013

Morgan Takes Her First Deer!

.
I have been on many a hunt in my life but I can't remember any that are more fun than hunting with my daughters Jessica and Morgan. I usually reserve this week each year to do a little hunting with them as it is antlerless season. There is always more goofing around than huntin' going on when you share a stand with those two characters.

Deer movement has been marginal even though the moon says they should be moving. With work & school, Jessica has not had much time to hunt but we went thanksgiving morning. It was in the 30's that morning and she about froze. By 8:30 AM she had taken all she could stand so we called off the hunt without seeing a deer.

Morgan and I hunted the following evening. It was the last day, last evening of the antlerless deer season and time was running out. With about 10-15 minutes of shooting light left, I spotted movement at the edge of the swamp. "Here they come Morg, get ready!" The deer moved behind a thick spot and the lead one finally slid into an opening to the left, slightly quartering to us. Morgan moved the .243 into position and got the cross hairs on it. "Just squeeze the trigger until the gun goes off" At the report of the shot the deer rolled over and its white belly flashed up...."YOU GOT HIM MORG!" She had centered the deer right in the chest at 65 yards! That was a better shot than half of the hunters I have guided lately. Damn fine shootin' for an eleven year old!

Double Time!

The second deer bounced back into the edge of the swamp. I grabbed the rifle and chambered another round. There was an oak tree between me and the deer so I had to lean over into Morgan's lap to be able to see the deer and sent a round down range. Deer down!


Morgan and I had just shot a double with the same rifle! Pretty Incredible......and her first deer to boot. We will not be forgetting that hunt anytime soon, I promise you.



Larry S.

No comments:

Post a Comment