Saturday, September 21, 2013

Bow Hunting Report - 9-20-13

This is my first report for the 2013 Bow Season.

I added a new lease to the list this year and I am really spreading myself thin! The new tract is pretty incredible and has one of the best buck populations I have ever seen for Florida. In one 48 hour period this past week I had bucks pass one of my trail cameras 19 times! I believe there was about 7 different bucks involved in that.

Everything here was finally out of velvet by about the first of September.

We are starting to see some active scraping going on and the bucks are moving really good.

I passed an 8" spike on opening morning and a nice 7pt later in the week.

The only buck I wanted to shoot ended up getting by me. He is a big mature 6pt and is about as big a 6 as you could hope to kill here in central Florida. I had just let my bow to the ground and put the video equipment away when I caught some movement to my left. A deer was slipping thru some dog fennels and headed my way. I pulled the bow back up as fast as possible and got an arrow nocked undetected but at 23 yds he caught my wind, swapped ends and slipped back across the dim road and into the swamp. Just like a big buck!

over the next 48 hours he passed by the stand 3 times! If he keeps that up he is in trouble.

I finally got around to setting up a stand at one of the spots I have been feeding heavy. Decided to give it a try this evening. I saw 4 does and all came within range but no bucks ever showed. I am going to hold off shooting and does for a while, at least on this tract. The chance at a really good buck is to great to be fooling with a doe here.

I have have some outstanding bucks on trail camera so far. Here are a few pics....

Larry S.





















 

No comments:

Post a Comment