Monday, December 19, 2011

Nikon Monarch 3-12x42 Scope Problems

.
Nikon Monarch Scope Problems!

I have the 3-12x42 Monarch mounted on my T/C Encore. I selected this scope after looking at a lot of scopes. I had narrowed my choices down to this and the Leupold but when side my side the Nikon appeared to be brighter. It was not inexpensive either. The retail on this scope is over $400.

I was real happy with the scope and had no issues what so ever early on but a string of misses and near misses has shaken my confidence in this thing and I just can't hunt like that.

I have just recently returned from a hunt in Illinois in which I had an Issue with the Monarch scope. I had some accuracy issues last year also but I had taken a hard spill on a frozen creek that really gave the gun a good jar. I missed a super buck the last evening of that hunt. When I got home and shot the gun I could not hit an 18"X24" paper at 100yds.

The first day into the hunt this trip I got my feet tangled up and took another little fall. I was carrying the rifle safari style by the barrel but I was able to keep some up pressure on the barrel and keep the butt from hitting the dirt to hard. It was not enough of a bump to make me think I should shoot it to verify it was still on. I figured if it could not take that little shock, something was bad wrong.

Well, That was a mistake! and I know better. I should have shot it.

The next morning I had (2) does and a yearling come by. I decided to take a shot at the lead doe at 109yds. I hit her but it was high in the flank? I shot the yearling at 130yds. and dropped it in its tracks but I hit that one in the back of the ham and exited mid body, high. I had to shoot the doe again and actually made a good shot on the third shot and dropped her at 171yds.

When I realized how off the shots were I knew I needed to get to the bottom of what had happened. Later that morning Capt. Ricky and I set up a 100yd target and when I shot it was 9 1/2" left and 3"high. I adjusted the scope 42 clicks right and 12`` clicks down and shot again. Right on.


I think it was the next day that the gun slipped off a tree I had leaned it against and hit the ground again! !$%!%#$ 

When I checked the zero I found it was off over 3"right and 3" high.


I pulled the scope and checked the bases, they were tight as Dick's hat band. The only thing I can figure is the scope is having an internal issue and I am going to have to send this thing in to have Nikon look at it.

I have shot 1", 100yd groups with this combination so I know it's capable and when I take a braced shot and its way off, there is a problem. I would say the avg. group for this gun is about 1 1/2" at 100.  That is with a 200 gr. Shockwave and 120gr. of loose pyrodex powder. I would also note it has never failed to fire, ever! I have hunted in some pretty brutal conditions with temperatures as low as -9 and highs approaching 100deg., Rain, snow, heat, loaded for long periods, you name it. Pull the trigger and it goes boom!

I will hold judgement on the Monarch for now as I really love the scope otherwise but I am going to have to do some testing once it's back in shape so I know I can count on it to hold zero.

Part of the reason I bought the Nikon is the "full lifetime warranty". It's on it's way back to Nikon right now. I will add the results of Nikon's inspection as soon as I get them.

Best of hunts,
Larry S.

No comments:

Post a Comment