Saturday, January 30, 2010

Trophy Black Coyote, That's One Big Dog!

It was the next to the last day of the Florida Deer season and with only a couple hunts left before the season would be just a memory, coyote’s were the last thing on my mind. That was all about to change. My deer hunt was just about to become a Coyote Hunt!

Coyote Hunting Without a Call!

That afternoon I had planned to hunt a buck I had seen during archery season on a marsh pasture. He’s one of the best Florida bucks I have seen and I was really hoping for a crack at him before it was all over. On the way into the stand I stopped by one of my camera traps to swap cards and see what had been going on in my absence. The Bushnell Trophy Cam revealed no big bucks but I was still hopeful. The moon was at ¼ phase and the feed time just about right for a late afternoon sighting.


This particular spot is one of my all time favorite hunting spots. It’s virtually un-hunted and one of my personal best Florida bucks was taken from this same stand. It has everything you could ask for. On one side is a hardwood hammock. A small creek flows thru the middle of the marsh and it is surrounded by high grass which blends into a cypress and gum swamp. Its literally a game magnet. All manor of animal call this special place home and it is a rare occasion that a hunt here does not produce a handful of deer and hogs sightings.

I scaled my way up the isolated cypress in the open grass and settled into my lock-on for the wait. Actually, things were going a little slow and I was really surprised at the lack of deer movement.

I was well heeled, carrying my Browning A-bolt chambered in .30-06. It’s short bolt throw is a joy to shoot and chambers a hot round quickly without banging your hand into the scope. I like to shoot 180 gr. Remington Core-lokts. They are extremely dependable, reasonably priced and have never let me down.

A Pair of Solid Black Coyotes Appear From the Waste High Grass!

Dark was closing in and I had just finished glassing the area with my Nikon Monarks when some movement thru the cypress limbs caught my attention about 70 yds to the right. Instantly, I recognized two black forms coming out of the high grass onto the mow. Both were black and I was thinking hog as they came into view in my binoculars. I could hardly believe my eyes, not one but two solid black coyotes! Before I knew it I was on my knees in the stand searching for a hole thru the limbs. The scope settled on the larger dog’s shoulder and I squeezed off a shot. The coyote hit the ground at the report of the shot. I immediately chambered a fresh round but the second coyote charged into the high grass before I could even ready for a second shot.

The Core-lokt had gone thru the upper, forward shoulder and exploded thru the spinal column producing an instant kill.

My first thought was to sit tight and wait out the last few minutes of light in hopes of seeing some deer but I could not stand it! I had to get a look at this thing.

This is One Big Dog and a Unique Trophy!

He was incredible! Upwards of 45 lbs. , solid black with a perfect hide. I rarely go to the woods without my camera and it was time to record the harvest so I could share this unique trophy with everyone.

A “Black Coyote” is a very rare sight. Hyper-melanistic, black, is even more rare than albinism. With all the thousands of hours I have spent afield, this was the first I had ever seen. He was truly a sight to behold and one I will never forget! I’m thinking my next hunt just might be a “coyote hunt“, for the one that got away.


Interestingly, ”Black Coyote” was the name of a Lakota Sioux who reportedly refused to give up his weapon at Wounded Knee and is believed to have unintentionally triggered the terrible massacre know as the “Battle at Wounded Knee.”

Good luck hunting!
Larry Stephens
Photo's by Larry Stephens

No comments:

Post a Comment